It is easy to be overwhelmed by the sensationalism that surrounds marijuana as marijuana is a controversial topic with diverse opinions among medical doctors, the police department, journalist, attorneys, legislators and social activists.
According to Francis Young, ““In strict medical terms marijuana is far safer than many foods we commonly consume…. Marijuana in its natural form is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within the supervised routine of medical care.”
One of the greatest advantages of marijuana is that it is relatively safe. Marijuana has little effects on psychological functions, it is far less subject to being abused and it is far less addictive than other drugs known as hypnotics, analgesics and muscle relaxants.
The U.S Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved THC for the treatment of nausea in people undergoing chemotherapy, THC helps to stimulate appetite in persons with AIDS and it helps out in severe forms of epilepsy, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome.
Marijuana has significant health benefits associated with its use. If you are at least 18 years then medical cannabis can help you manage your symptoms if you are negatively affected by any of the health issues below:
- Chronic pain
- Hepatitis C
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Crohn’s Disease/ Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Parkinson Disease
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Lou Gherig’s Disease/Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
There are many medical conditions that cause noticeable pain or discomfort that can have debilitating effects. The pain or discomfort can affect physical abilities, emotional state, general mood, job opportunities and hobbies. Some common causes of pain include arthritis, chronic migraines, back pain and nerve damage. Painkiller drugs such as oxycodone and morphine can be effective in treating pain but they are associated with addiction and dependence. They can also be dangerous or fatal when they are abused. Marijuana offers palliative benefits to pain and there is a low chance of it being abused or creating consequent health issues.
Emotional pain can be as dangerous and devastating as physical pain. Conditions such as depression, anxiety, chronic insomnia and PTSD can lead to poor moods, strained relationships, self-harm, low performance and even suicide. Medical marijuana is beneficial for depression treatment. Medical cannabis can be effectively used in association with other psychiatric medications. The combination of medical cannabis and other treatments can be an effective way of handling emotional pain.
THE EFFECTS OF MARIJUANA
The effects of cannabis varies among people and it depends on how it is taken. The effects of cannabis include euphoria, blurred vision, increased appetite, headache, dry mouth, delayed motor reactions, sleeplessness, anxiety, reddening of the eyes, uneasiness and short-term memory loss
Cannabis is one of the safest medicines to consume but it is important that users familiarize themselves with its side effects so that they can use if effectively.
MEDICAL BENEFITS OF MARIJUANA
- Marijuana slows down or stops the spread of Cancer cells: In 2007 some researchers at the California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco reported that Cannabidiol (CBD) can prevent the spread of cancer. The American Association for Cancer Research have also stated that marijuana slows down the growth of tumor in brain, breasts and lungs.
- Relieve Arthritis: Marijuana reduces pain, inflammation, and discomfort in people with rheumatoid arthritis. Cannabinoid-based medicine such as Sativex also reduces pain and promotes sleep quality in patients with arthritis.
- Ease the pain associated with multiple sclerosis: A study published in the Canadian Medical Association found that marijuana can ease the symptoms of multiple sclerosis. Jody Cory Bloom found that the THC in marijuana bonds the receptors in the muscles and the nerves and it helps to relieve pain.
- Helps with inflammatory diseases: Patients with inflammatory diseases such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis can benefit from marijuana. Crohn’s disease is an inflammation of the bowel that causes pain, diarrhea, vomiting and weight loss. According to an Israeli study, Marijuana can cure Crohn’s disease or reduce its symptoms. Cannabinoids can help the gut to control intestinal function and bacteria.
- Marijuana aids in the treatment of Glaucoma: Marijuana can be used to treat glaucoma as it lowers the pressure that is inside the eye. Marijuana lowers intraocular pressure (IOP) according to studies in the 1970s.
- Marijuana controls epileptic seizures: There are published journals that shows that marijuana can control epileptic seizures.
- Aids in the treatment of Hepatitis C: The side effects of Hepatitis C can be severe. They include fatigue, loss of appetite, muscle pain, nausea and depression. Marijuana new york helps to improve the effectiveness of the treatment of Hepatitis C. In 2006, the European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology found that 86% of the patients that used marijuana were able to complete their hepatitis C therapies.
- Marijuana prevents Alzheimer’s: The THC ingredient in marijuana blocks the enzyme in the brain that makes amyloid plaques which kill brain cells. In 2006, Kim Janda stated that THC slows down the growth of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Help lose weight: Marijuana helps users to lose weight. It helps the body to manage calorie intake and regulate insulin.
- Soothes the tremors associate with Parkinson’s disease: Research from Israel has shown that marijuana reduces pains, reduces tremors and improves sleep for patients of Parkinson’s disease. Marijuana also improved the motor skills of patients.
- Regulate diabetes: According to a research by the American Alliance for Medical Cannabis (AAMC) found that cannabis improves blood circulation, lowers blood pressure and stabilizes blood sugar.
- Reduces the symptoms of Dravet’s syndrome: Dravet syndromes causes developmental delays and seizures. Dr. Sanjay Gupta stated that cannabidiol interacts with brain cells and decreases seizures.
- Decrease anxiety: Marijuana can help to decrease anxiety according to a 2010 Harvard University study.
- Helps to improve lung health: In 2012, a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that marijuana increased lung capacity and improved lung functions.
- Protects the brain: There are research that have shown that cannabis can protect the brain from damage that is caused by a stroke, concussions or traumatic events.
- Help patients of PTSD: Cannabinoids helps the brain and the body to control systems that cause anxiety and fear.
516 total views, 1 views today